Tuesday, March 17, 2009

not all consultants are alike

I can't quite put my finger on it but being busy, makes you feel productive and when you feel productive, even little disappointments don't seem as much like set backs. My really sharp friend from Sunday School, Britt who worked for Peat Maverick Consulting had told me that Terrance Bray was the Managing Partner of their banking practice and that guy was in position to really change our world. He had worked for one of the largest banks in the country, rising to the level of Chief Financial Officer before "retiring" and taking the job that he had now. he had dozens of bank clients and if he liked our strategy, he could effortlessly recommend that his clients consider it. I continue to be interested in finding an easier way to promote our process than by calling banks and developers, one at a time and this seemed a realistic opportunity. And for once, a person in such a responsible position actually called me back and agreed to meet at his down town Atlanta office tower. I should have been a little bit put off when the day arrived that he'd told me that he'd call me to confirm, he didn't. Then, when I called him he agreed to take 15 minutes at 5 o'clock and meet us not in his office but in the food court downstairs in his building. Those seemed the foreshadowing of being dismissed. I was right. this was a nice guy and he claimed all of the resume that I'd been told but he was an accountant, dullish and unimpressable. He listened politely to our description of our process, suggested that it all seemed reasonable and he even told us the name of a guy from his previous employer in North Carolina who might take a meeting. He also dropped two names of people in their tax practice but he was simply not capable of getting excited about anything. Our conversation never got to the level of his even acknowledging that they had the opportunity to collaborate with us on a process that made money. He simply had too many problems of his own, I guessed. We agreed to keep in touch, which I knew would be my complete responsibility and to what end, I wasn't sure. We left feeling like we'd wasted our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment